Fw: [ISN] Commentary: The Threat Of Microsofts .Net

JohnE37179 at aol.com JohnE37179 at aol.com
Wed Oct 31 16:18:40 EST 2001

In a message dated 10/31/01 3:09:38 PM, vertigo at panix.com writes:

<< but do not "PKI, encryption, [and] digital certificates," de-
pending on their use, actually help to PROVE one's identity through reliable,
trusted, or otherwise authoritative third parties? >>

In closed systems, yes. However, even in those environments there is a
substantial risk, because there really are no "trusted," or otherwise
authoritative third parties, short of a full blown background check.
Approximately 80% of all attacks are from those "trusted" insiders.

Remember 100% of embezzlers are trusted implicitly.

In a world of digital strangers the concept almost loses its meaning.

I've been around this business for nearly 20 years and I'm not sure who you
could really classify as a "trusted third party."

John Ellingson
CEO
Edentification, Inc.
608.833.6261