NYT article on steganography

John Denker jsd at research.att.com
Wed Oct 31 06:19:02 EST 2001

At 08:57 PM 10/30/01 -0500, vertigo commended to our attention:

>http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~rivest/chaffing.txt

Here is a review I wrote back in 1998:

1) In Ron's note, most of the statements about the technology are true.  In
a narrowly technical sense the scheme would "work".

2) The scheme is not as revolutionary as the note seems to suggest.  Hiding
trees in forests is pretty well-known technology.

3) The legal and definitional aspects are, shall we say, matters of
opinion.  In particular, the claim that chaffing is not encryption is
highly debatable.  Certainly the authorities could choose to include
chaffing in the list of banned operations.  The fact that all the
ingredients of the chaffing scheme have "approved" uses falls far short of
making the point.  Consider an analogy:  in many cases the parts of a legal
semi-automatic weapon are essentially identical to the parts of a
fully-automatic weapon.  Yet the authorities have no hesitation about
outlawing the latter -- and vigorously enforcing the law.

4) It should go without saying that I do NOT approve of wholesale
snooping.  Indeed I think the present restrictions on cryptography are
absurd.  And I don't think there's anything wrong with chaffing.  I just
don't think it will be particularly effective at forcing the debate into
sensible channels.