limits of watermarking (Re: First Steganographic Image in theWild)

Marc Branchaud marcnarc at rsasecurity.com
Thu Oct 18 17:56:51 EDT 2001

This analogy doesn't quite hold.

Copy protection need only be broken once for the protection to be disabled
for a particular piece of work.  Also, once the scheme is known for one piece
of work, it is extremely easy to break the scheme for other pieces, and in
particular to write an application that will do so.

With crypto's bar-raising, OTOH, breaking one instance, like an SSL stream or
an AES key, does not break all other uses of SSL or AES.  In particular, SSL
& AES will provide the same degree of protection for any other communication
of the same data between the same or other parties.  Also, good crypto
schemes are already widely known and designed explicitly so that knowledge of
the scheme does not break the scheme.

		M.