Security Research (Was: Scarfo "keylogger", PGP )

Steven M. Bellovin smb at research.att.com
Tue Oct 16 20:52:48 EDT 2001

In message <3BCC7231.2F3CA52D at algroup.co.uk>, Ben Laurie writes:
>"Trei, Peter" wrote:
>> Windows XP at least checks for drivers not signed by MS, but
>> whose security this promotes is an open question.
>
>Errr ... surely this promotes MS's bottom line and no-one's security? It
>is also a major pain if you happen to want to write a device driver, of
>course.

Microsoft?  See their view of how to deal with security at
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/171173.html -- I wonder if they
think it should apply to crypto research, too?

Of course, why should I be surprised at this?  Some crypto research is
already banned by the DMCA; why not ban even more?

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com