Scarfo "keylogger", PGP

Peter Fairbrother peter.fairbrother at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 15 19:44:34 EDT 2001

The order is available on the epic site (copy sent privately). I don't think
the cleanliness of the collected data is relevant as all they wanted was the
PGP key, which either works or doesn't, they got the encrypted files when
they examined the computer beforehand and/or seized it afterwards.

I do think they have probably gone too far and captured email, at least when
it was being composed, even if they didn't intercept it in transmission. The
order relates to business records but not email, whose seizure the order
does not permit (a different type of order is needed for email). Pretty
silly imho as they didn't need to install the "keystroke capture component"
at all.

-- Peter Fairbrother