RIAA Secret Meeting

Fearghas McKay fm at st-kilda.org
Thu Oct 11 04:17:13 EDT 2001

At 12:09 am -0400 11/10/01, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>In a grudging retraction Wednesday, the paper compounded its problems,
>saying: "The trouble with the Internet is that it's just too darn
>fast." (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/31/22138.html)
>
>No, the trouble has nothing to do with the Internet. It has everything
>to do with shoddy journalism. Worse yet, the halfhearted retraction
>still argued, pitifully and implausibly, that the quotes supplied by
>Anonymous "may" still be accurate.

I would prefer to focus on their comment:

--
It's a fair cop, guv - we cocked up here, and we throw ourselves on
the mercy of the court.

[snip]

  At best, we can say, the comment were all made long ago and were
brought together, out of context, by our correspondent. Ever been
had? We now think we were.
Are apologies in order? Yes they are.
So apologies to all concerned. And that includes our readers. ®
--

Which to my European ears sounds like an apology based on them having
been lazy and careless - hardly half hearted.