Kerchoff's principle

Ariel Waissbein wata at corest.com
Tue Oct 9 16:40:14 EDT 2001

Look up his article "criptographie millitaire" (writen in 1883) at
http://www.tcs.hut.fi/~helger/crypto/link/history/index.html
it is quite interesting.

the prnciple basically states that a cryptographic protocol's
security should not relay on the knowledge of how does the
protocol itself is, e.g., you should always suppose that the
algorithms and related data used during the protocol's execution
(other than specific private data such as private keys) are known
to the attackers.

This principle is considered a MUST in the construcion of
cryptographic protocols and primitives.

Ariel

--
====================[ CORE Security Technologies ]==================
Ariel Waissbein

Pgp Fingerprint: 8D5E 46CC A6DA C46F 1EBC  C3D3 210A 37F0 8A47 76AA

email :  ariel_waissbein at corest.com
http://www.corest.com

I was scared. Petrified. Because (x) hearing voices isn't like
catching a cold, you can't get rid of it with lemmon tea (y)
it's inside, it is not some naevus, an epidermal blemish you
can cover up or cauterise (z) I had no control over it. It was
there of its own volition, just stopped in and (zz) I was going
bananas.
-Tibor Fischer ``The Thought Gang"