AGAINST ID CARDS

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sat Oct 6 17:44:13 EDT 2001

[Moderator's note: we are rapidly getting off topic again. --Perry]

> >         we already have a national ID card: a passport.
>
>Are you required to have one? Certainly in the UK its only required if
>you want to leave the EU (though there are still some people manning the
>borders that believe it is required for travel within the EU).

The US doesn't require you to have one.
If you want to leave the US by airplane, and sometimes by boat,
the airline or boat will often require one,
depending on the country you're going to.
If you want to enter the US through a formally controlled location
(e.g. an airport or bridge, as opposed to walking into Montana
or Arizona),  La Migra wants to see if your papers are in order,
though how in order they need to be depends on where you're
coming from - the amount they're legally able to control
American citizens is less than the control they have over foreigners,
though of course the trick to that is demonstrating to them
that you're an American.