IP: Magic Lantern

Adam Fields fields at surgam.net
Tue Nov 27 15:56:22 EST 2001

Gilles Gravier says:
> What about:
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1436-2001Nov22.html
>
> <QUOTE>
> At least one antivirus software company, McAfee Corp., contacted the FBI
> on Wednesday to ensure its software wouldn't inadvertently detect the
> bureau's snooping software and alert a criminal suspect.
> </QUOTE>
>
> I know we were all tought not to believe the press but still...

This sort of raises an interesting question - is it/will it be a crime
to detect and/or remove software placed on a computer by the FBI? Even
if you don't know what it is? Is this being considered tantamount to
interfering with an investigation, even if there has been no
notification of an investigation? On a somewhat related note, is it
wise for the FBI to open itself up to potential lawsuits if their
software corrupts data or otherwise interferes with legitimate
business, or allows an intruder to do so undetected by utilizing the
AV-invisibility channel reserved for FBI-ware (if such a thing
exists)?

> Gilles.
>
> "R. A. Hettinga" wrote:
> >
> > --- begin forwarded text

> > Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 06:44:34 -0500
> > To: ip-sub-1 at majordomo.pobox.com
> > From: David Farber <dave at farber.net>
> > Subject: IP: Magic Lantern
> > Sender: owner-ip-sub-1 at admin.listbox.com
> >
> > >From: "Thompson, Tony" <Tony_Thompson at nai.com>
> > >To: dave at farber.net
> > >
> > >Dave,
> > >
> > >With regards to a message you sent earlier on Magic Lantern, Network
> > >Associates/McAfee has not contacted the FBI, nor has the FBI contacted
> > >NAI/McAfee, regarding Magic Lantern.  Additionally, we do not expect the F
BI
> > >to contact Network Associates/McAfee regarding Magic Lantern.
> > >
> > >Please let me know if you have additional questions.
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >Tony Thompson
> > >Public Relations Manager
> > >Network Associates / McAfee
> > >408_346.3696
> > >tony_thompson at nai.com
> >
> > For archives see:
> > http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/
> >
> > --- end forwarded text
> >
> > --
> > -----------------
> > R. A. Hettinga <mailto: rah at ibuc.com>
> > The Internet Bearer Underwriting Corporation <http://www.ibuc.com/>
> > 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
> > "... however it may deserve respect for its usefulness and antiquity,
> > [predicting the end of the world] has not been found agreeable to
> > experience." -- Edward Gibbon, 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire'

s.com

> --
> Gilles Gravier  -  Platform Infrastructure - SDN  -  EMEA
> Email: Gilles.Gravier at Sun.com            Sun Microsystems
> Phone: +41 22 7077856                 2 rue de Jargonnant
> Fax: +41 79 4351052                        CH-1207 Geneva
> PGP Key ID: 0xF5F60C45                        Switzerland
> My Current Location is:   N:046°12'03.8" - E:006°09'31.9"

com