FBI-virus software cracks encryption wall

Jei jei at alpha.hut.fi
Tue Nov 27 08:37:45 EST 2001

Does anyone know if this software sends the logged traffic in clear-text
or does it use encryption to protect it from being intercepted? (If not,
unauthorized persons and hackers can sniff it and abuse it.) What if the
security is weak and breakable? Has the software been validated to be
secure and work correctly under all circumstances?

Does the FBI-virus come with multi-language support, or does it just crash
the computers (like IE does for the Finnish version of Windows computers)
and make them inoperable? (Lots of Microsoft software does this if you
install the wrong language version and you have to reinstall everything.
-> Can be several days of work.)

Also, now that the FBI has assumed global jurisdiction (can legally hack
foreigners), do they cover damages if the software in question causes the
computers to malfunction, become inoperable, destroys data, leaks
confidential data to outsiders, compromises the security of computers or
by malfunction just causes people not being able to work? A lot of damage
and error issues are possible, especially in situations where computers
need to have all their software validated.

Does the FBI cover the costs of rebuilding the security infrastructure
for example a company who's employee's user passwords were logged?

What about the loss of face for a security company, if FBI-virus has
breached their security, and FBI publishes that someone in the company
was logged?

Notable is also what kind of copyright does the FBI acknowledge for
the captured keys-strokes? Can they publish the information somewhere?

I just think that these issues need to be covered and answered clearly
to the general public.

Thanks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1436-2001Nov22.html

    At least one antivirus software company, McAfee Corp., contacted the
    FBI on Wednesday to ensure its software wouldn't inadvertently detect
    the bureau's snooping software and alert a criminal suspect.