Shades of FV's Nathaniel Borenstein: Carnivore's "Magic Lantern"

Jay D. Dyson jdyson at treachery.net
Wed Nov 21 16:56:34 EST 2001

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 pasward at big.uwaterloo.ca wrote:

> > Everyone remember First Virtual's Nat Borenstein's "major discovery"
> > of the keyboard logger?
> >
> > 'Magic Lantern' part of new 'Enhanced Carnivore Project'
>
> In the same vein, but a different application, does anyone know what the
> state of the art is for detecting such tampering?  In particular, when
> sitting at a PC doing banking, is there any mechanism by which a user
> can know that the PC is not corrupted with such a key logger?  The last
> time I checked, there was nothing other than the various anti-virus
> software.

	As much as this will sound like a panacean suggestion, I'd say the
best way to avoid being a victim of this sort of attack is to dump Windows
and utilize Linux (or Solaris x86) with a GUI front end.  With the advance
of *nix GUIs and the advent of utility suites such as Sun Microsystems'
Star Office, I've long since abandoned any justification to continue using
the Microsoft Windows operating system and office-oriented applications.

	Yet another reason why Open Source is your friend.

-Jay

  ))   ))   .-"There's always time for a good cup of coffee."-.   >====<--.