Shades of FV's Nathaniel Borenstein: Carnivore's "Magic Lantern"

Greg Broiles gbroiles at parrhesia.com
Wed Nov 21 15:54:22 EST 2001

At 10:40 AM 11/21/2001 -0500, pasward at big.uwaterloo.ca wrote:

>In the same vein, but a different application, does anyone know what
>the state of the art is for detecting such tampering?  In particular,
>when sitting at a PC doing banking, is there any mechanism by which a
>user can know that the PC is not corrupted with such a key logger?
>The last time I checked, there was nothing other than the various
>anti-virus software.

I have not used them, but you might find these of interest, all for Windows
systems -

Spycop <http://spycop.com>
Hook Protect or PC Security Guard
<http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/8839/utils.html>

I note that the latter URL loads a page which Bugnosis
<http://www.bugnosis.org> identifies as containing possible "web bug"
single-pixel images and complicated cookies.

--
Greg Broiles -- gbroiles at parrhesia.com -- PGP 0x26E4488c or 0x94245961
5000 dead in NYC? National tragedy.