Forward Security Question

David Jablon dpj at world.std.com
Mon Nov 19 11:17:38 EST 2001

As further precedent, [JV96] provides a definition and rationale for FS in
preference to PFS:

"A key agreement protocol provides *forward secrecy* (perfect forward secrecy
in [7] and [9]) if the loss of any long-term secret keying material does not allow
the compromise of keys from previously wire-tapped sessions.  Since
*perfect* usually makes reference to information theory, we avoid it here."

[JV96]  M. Just and S. Vaudenay, "Authenticated multi-partykey agreement, "
in Advances in Cryptology -- EUROCRYPT '96, U. Maurer, Ed. 1996, number
1070 in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Germany.
[7] = [DOW92], [9] = [Gun90]

Using this definition for a password-authenticated KAP, the password is
considered "long-term secret keying material".