Netscape co-founder Clark debuts new extranet start-up

Ng Pheng Siong ngps at post1.com
Wed Nov 7 12:37:55 EST 2001

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 07:09:55PM -0500, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
> >Today, Neoteris unveils a product called an Instant Virtual Extranet, a box
> >that allows people to sign on to a corporate network from any standard Web
> >browser. So far, the product has been tested by about 10 customers, and
> >it's getting rave reviews.
>
> Someone with excellent security credentials commented:
> - The people involved have no security background.
> - It's not inter-operable with anything else.
> - Since it doesn't run on the client you can't tell what kind of
> information gets leaked.
> - $100,000 for a box to do vpn's is a little rich.

- A good number of CIOs and heads of IT infrastructures have insufficient
  security background, too. But they all know who James Clark is and
  understand the magic phrase "zero client admin."

  Meaning, it's all in the market positioning.

- Ok, I guess it isn't IPsec. I'll bet it is something like running local
  application proxies which tunnel thru the browser's SSL connection back
  to the corporate office.

I'm not affiliated with Neoteris. Haven't seen their web site nor their
product. Did dream up a similar product about two months back: My intended
market positioning for it _is_ "zero client admin."

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at post1.com> * http://www.post1.com/home/ngps