What does it take to be a security professional?

Adam Fields fields at surgam.net
Mon Nov 5 15:49:56 EST 2001

I make my living as a technical consultant, doing architecture and
programming for mid-to-large-scale enterprise information processing
systems (mostly content management infrastructures lately). I have a
formal CS education, and I consider myself about as knowledgable an
amateur as possible on the subjects of computer security and crypto.

So, I ask the following question - "what does it take to be a security
professional?". What should I learn in order to be able to confidently
offer security services to my clients? I'm looking for journals,
readings, certifications, broad topics... the works.