when a fraud is a sale, Re: Rubber hose attack

Rick Smith at Secure Computing rick_smith at securecomputing.com
Mon Nov 5 12:35:36 EST 2001

At 11:01 AM 11/5/2001, JohnE37179 at aol.com wrote:

>The problem with all authentication technologies in use today from
>biometrics to PKI to digital certs, all finesse the identification process
>and push it off to some "trusted" third party...all without clearly
>defining what that third party must bring to the table.

Perhaps this is why I'm expecting PKI to flourish primarily within
enterprises that run their own CAs as opposed to third parties, at least in
the near term.

Although a few third party credit card vendors got things started decades
ago, credit cards didn't really blossom until after a period in the '60s
and '70s during which many/most individual enterprises issued their own
cards. This allowed the enterprises to learn by themselves what the costs,
risks, and rewards were. They had the opportunity to decide for themselves
what risks to take and directly experience the results. Only after the
enterprises developed this internal awareness of the real implications of
such cards could they understand the system well enough to know what it
meant to sign up with Visa, MC, or one of the other big names. At least,
that's my reading of the history, and how it might apply to PKI or other
authentication technologies.

It seems to me that the concept of identity is application specific (and
thus enterprise specific in a sense), which makes it tricky for an
'authentication vendor' to try to provide a general 'identity' solution
except maybe through 'AAA' products.

Rick.
smith at securecomputing.com            roseville, minnesota
"Authentication" in bookstores http://www.visi.com/crypto/