Proving security protocols

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Nov 3 00:15:47 EST 2001

Rick Smith at Secure Computing <rick_smith at securecomputing.com> writes:
>At 09:00 AM 11/1/2001, Roop Mukherjee wrote:
>>Can someone offer some criticism of the practice formal verification in
>>general ?
>Okay, I'll grab this hot potato.

I may as well speak up as well then... I spent most of a chapter of my thesis
looking at formal security verification in fairly exhaustive detail (if I
missed anything I'm sure I'll hear about it soon :-).  You can get it as
http://www.cryptoapps.com/~peter/04_verif_techniques.pdf.  The conclusion is
that there are more effective ways to spend your time and money, but for the
full story I'd recommend you read the above document.

Peter.