Rubber hose attack

vertigo vertigo at panix.com
Fri Nov 2 12:44:38 EST 2001

> On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Rick Smith at Secure Computing wrote:

> Hmmm. I'm able to walk into a bank in semi-rural Italy and pull hundreds of
> dollars out of my credit card account. I'm able to buy subscriptions to
> Russian news sites. This seems pretty world-wide and Internet-wide to me.
> Existing systems work pretty well even if they don't achieve some cosmic
> notion of "Trust" or "Identity."

The point is, without this cosmic notion of trust, _I_ could walk into a bank
in semi-rurual Turkey and pull hundreds of dollars from YOUR credit card ac-
count. (Unless I was there during an earthquake, and all the telephone lines
were down and all I had was 20 USD, 10 million Turkish Lira, my passport, and
a copy of Knuth. <grrr>)

vertigo