NSA tapping undersea fibers?

Gilles Gravier Gilles.Gravier at Sun.com
Tue May 29 03:20:11 EDT 2001

If you slightly bend fiber, a portion of the signal goes through the
wall... kind of like a semi-transparent mirror... part of the signal is
still reflected inside the fiber... but part of it goes out... to the
tapping instrument.

Gilles.

Tib wrote:

> I'm curious as well about how the tap could actually happen though without
> some major bells and whistles taking place. If my understanding of fiber is

[Large amounts of quoted content removed -- please cut down your
postings before submitting them, folks... --Perry]

--
   Gilles Gravier - Technology Advisor, APPS BD - EMEA
Email: Gilles.Gravier at Sun.com            Sun Microsystems