Transcript of David Friedman's Will Encryption Protect Privacy and Make Government Obsolete?

Bill Frezza waf at acm.com
Wed May 23 11:22:40 EDT 2001

It wasn't "someone" who said that the move toward civilization coincided
with the move toward privacy. It was Ayn Rand. And the quote is as follows:

"Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's
whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is
the process of setting man free from men." - Ayn Rand, 1943.

I used this quote as the opening of my December 1996 Forbes ASAP invited
article called "History's Greatest Brain Drain" which you can still find at:

www.digitalib.org/forbesasap.html

even though it seems to be gone from the Forbes web site.

All the best,

Bill Frezza

Bill Frezza, General Partner
Adams Capital Management