forwarded message from tylera19 at hotmail.com

Amir Herzberg AMIR at newgenpay.com
Mon May 14 12:27:41 EDT 2001

Eugene said,

> However, filtering is clearly the wrong solution. Whether
> they realize it or not, spammers apparently press forward towards the end
of
> free email. A classical tragedy of the commons scenario: they'll ruin the
> fun for us and themselves as well.

It is not necessarily the end of free e-mail; a bearable restriction is
sufficient.
Specifically, e-mail readers and servers will be configured to send a polite
refusal to any non-paid e-mail from an unknown source. This means that your
_first_ e-mail to people using such a filter-by-charging solution will
require a small payment. Assuming they consider you a non-spammer, they
should return the payment to you (or simply not deposit it).

This takes care reasonably well of peer to peer e-mail (I think), and can be
easily deployed (any volunteers? I'll be very glad to provide our system for
this !). As to mailing lists like this one... Here one solution is manual
moderating, of course. But for a fully automated list... maybe a charge per
posting which is proportional to the number of subscribers (well, like an
ad, I guess).

Best regards,
Amir Herzberg
CTO, NewGenPay Inc.

See demo and lectures/overviews/tutorials on crypto-security for mobile,
e-commerce, etc. in http://www.newgenpay.com/mpay/course/course.html