DCSB: Art Hutchinson; The Four Horsemen of Intellectual Value -- Rights Management and Digital Commerce

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Tue May 8 09:03:11 EDT 2001

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 08:30:44 -0400
To: dcsb at ai.mit.edu, dcsb-announce at ai.mit.edu
From: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com>
Subject: DCSB: Art Hutchinson; The Four Horsemen of Intellectual Value --
 Rights Management and Digital Commerce
Cc: "Art Hutchinson" <ironmanayh at hotmail.com>,
        Philip Hallam-Baker <pbaker at verisign.com>,
        Jean Camp <Jean_Camp at harvard.edu>
Sender: bounce-dcsb at reservoir.com

[The Harvard Club is now "business casual". No more jackets and ties;
while it lasts, anyway... --RAH]

          The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                        Presents
                     Art Hutchinson
                  Founder and Principal,
                The Cartegic Group, Inc.

           The Four Horsemen of Intellectual Value

           Why Rights Management and Watermarking
         Are Just the Tip of an Apocalyptic Iceberg
       About to Hit the Service and Content Industries

                 Tuesday, June 5th, 2001
                       12 - 2 PM
            The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
               One Federal Street, Boston, MA

Technology is becoming less and less deterministic of how
intellectual content providers are compensated for their efforts, and
how (or even whether) recipients pay for them directly. Each
technological development or business innovation for content delivery
and management has been hailed as driving a particular business or
payment model (the public web and advertising; e-mail and
subscriptions; digital rights management and pay-per-view; Napster
and Linux and freeware, etc.). All are right, but none is right
alone. The aggregate effect of these developments, over time, will be
vastly greater choice, complexity, and subtlety in how content
providers, recipients, and channels interact financially. The
long-hailed phenomenon of "convergence" is less about technology (the
armaments) and more about the war of industry cultures that
technology will facilitate.

As with nation-states, different "content" industries harbor wildly
divergent assumptions about what "works" (and doesn't) in their realm
- -- values and beliefs about what model(s) customers will accept, and
which are most advantageous, for realizing the full value of their
intellectual property, talents or services. Many of these assumptions
however, are historical hangovers from when delivery vehicle dictated
business model. Financial services, professional services, software,
print media, live performances, music, film, news, art, and games are
seldom thought of in similar terms, but they should be. The business
models available to each are becoming available to all. The
opportunity (or danger) lies in business model incursions from one
content industry into another. The hard work will be in figuring out
how customers want to pay, when few are capable of providing a direct
answer, and the obvious answer today may be different tomorrow.

Art Hutchinson is Founder and Principal of The Cartegic Group, Inc.,
a management consultancy based in Newton, Mass. He helps providers
to, and users of information technology in "virtual goods" industries
(financial services, publishing, professional services and media) to
develop and apply appropriate business and payment models, and to
reach their markets more effectively. Prior to founding The Cartegic
Group, Art was a Principal at NerveWire, Inc. (formerly Northeast
Consulting Resources, Inc.), where he was in charge of the company's
strategy practice for financial services. He has more than 17 years
of experience as both consultant and executive, working with senior
management teams at major global corporations to forge dynamic,
actionable business and market strategy, enabled by technology.

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held
on Tuesday, June 5th, 2001, from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown Branch of
the Harvard Club of Boston, on One Federal Street. The price for
lunch is $35.00. This price includes lunch, room rental, A/V hardware
if necessary, and the speakers' lunch. The Harvard Club has relaxed
its dress code, which is now "business casual", meaning no sneakers
or jeans. Fair warning: since we purchase these luncheons in advance,
we will be unable to refund the price of your meal if the Club finds
you in violation of what's left of its dress code.

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or, if we
*really* know you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of
Boston", by Saturday, June 2nd, or you won't be on the list for
lunch. Checks payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston
will have to be sent back.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The
Harvard Club of Boston", in the amount of $35.00. Please include your
e-mail address so that we can send you a confirmation

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements
(we've had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for
instance), please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can
work something out.

Upcoming speakers for DCSB are:

July  Phill Hallam-Baker  Trust Services and Second Generation PKI
TBA   Jean Camp           TBA

As you can see, :-), we are actively searching for future speakers.
If you are in Boston on the first Tuesday of the month, are a
principal in digital commerce, and would like to make a presentation
to the Society, please send e-mail to the DCSB Program Committee,
care of Robert Hettinga, <mailto: rah at shipwright.com>.

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
To unsubscribe from this list, send a letter to: Majordomo at reservoir.com
In the body of the message, write:  unsubscribe dcsb-announce
Or, to subscribe,           write:  subscribe dcsb-announce
If you have questions, write to me at Owner-DCSB at reservoir.com

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA