archives?

Steven M. Bellovin smb at research.att.com
Thu Jun 28 22:37:19 EDT 2001

In message <3B3997DE.F29F4023 at globalserve.net>, max curious writes:
>Hello, I remember there was a thread regarding cracking the enigma machine and
> how
>the code breakers did not want to consider the simplest cases and as a result
>it
>took several years longer to 'crack' it. I think it was an article, but where
>and
>when (and on which mailing list I saw it and precisely what it was about) I ca
>n not
>remember. I apologize for being so vague but if someone could point me to the
>archives of this list or point me to the correct email OR to the correct maili
>ng
>list - that would be great.

I'm not 100% certain what you're referring to.  However, there was
considerable confusion early on about the keyboard encoding -- was 'A'
mapped to 'A', etc., or was there (effectively) an unkeyed
monoalphabetic substitution first.  IT turned out that it was just a
straight-through mapping, but they hadn't tried that.