Starium (was Re: article: german secure phone)

Ian BROWN I.Brown at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jun 7 05:41:19 EDT 2001

I think to some extent, the next-generation mobile standards (UMTS/3GPP) will
do this automatically... GSM currently encrypts the air interface between
phone and base station; 3GPP pushes this much further back into the network
(all the way back to a device in the user's home network, I think).
Unfortunately I don't think two 3GPP phones talking to each other will do
end-to-end  -- saves the phone companies having to implement MITM or escrow
functionality for law enforcement interfaces :(
--
"Of all drugs, alcohol is probably one of the most unattractive: it makes people boring and loud, a lethal combination. Sit me in front of a cokehead any day - at least the conversation will be better." --Nigella Lawson