NSA tapping undersea fibers?

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Tue Jun 5 13:09:03 EDT 2001

There's an awful lot of uninformed speculation about how
undersea cabling is done in this thread.

I strongly reccomend that folks interested in this topic
read Neal Stephenson's very detailed (and entertaining!)
discussion of the topic in Wired, at
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/4.12/ffglass.html

Peter Trei
----------------------------
A few quotes:

Shallow water is the most perilous part of a cable's route. Extra
precautions must be taken in the transition from deep water to
the beach, and these precautions get more extreme as the
water gets more shallow. Between 1,000 and 3,000 meters, the
cable has a single layer of armor wires (steel rods about as thick
 as a pencil) around it. In less than 1,000 meters of water, it has
a second layer of armor around the first. In the final approach to
the shoreline, this double-armored cable is contained within a
massive shell of articulated cast-iron pipe, which in turn is
buried under up to a meter of sand.

[...]
Beyond 300 meters, the cable must still be buried to protect it
from anchors, tickler chains, and otter boards
[...]

Over long (intercontinental) distances, the difference averages out to about
1
percent, so you might need a 2,525-kilometer cable to go from Songkhla to
Lan Tao. The extra 1 percent is slack, in the sense that if you grabbed the
ends and pulled the cable infinitely tight (bar tight, as they say in the
business), it would theoretically straighten out and you would have an extra

25 kilometers. This slack is ideally molded into the contour of the seafloor
as
tightly as a shadow, running straight and true along the surveyed course. As

little slack as possible is employed, partly because cable costs a lot of
money
(for the FLAG cable, $16,000 to $28,000 per kilometer, depending on the
amount
of armoring) and partly because loose coils are just asking for trouble
from trawlers and other hazards. In fact, there is so little slack (in the
layperson's
sense of the word) in a well-laid cable that it cannot be grappled and
hauled to the surface without snapping it.
[...]