undersea taps

Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Jun 3 15:03:59 EDT 2001

Military intelligence folks have always been very adept in
playing with the press. By throwing a juicy sausage one after
another into the kennel, you can keep the dogs chasing their own
tails indefinitely. (It's fun, too, unless you happen to be a dog).

Professional paranoia would seem to require to assume any
disclosures about spooks' limitations and capabilities to be
deliberately planted, attempting to hog limited resource (human
attention span and mentation). An advanced sleight of hand, to
distract your attention from what is really going on, so to speak.
(Pray pay no attention to the man behind the curtain).

Whether they're really tapping them, or not, and by whatever means,
the sane assumption is that everything that goes out in clear is
stored for later analysis, if any.

The real issue, of course, is to get strong cryptography deployed
ubiquitously, so that anything intercepted will require considerable
resources (whether man in the middle (by no means academic, if you
control the bulk of the traffic), or breaking a cryptosystem),
and making mass screening for keywords (such as in this mail --
welcome to Echelon's database, email is low-bandwidth, and storage
is cheap these days) impractical.