Lie in X.BlaBla...

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Fri Jun 1 17:53:29 EDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 09:43:50AM -0700, Greg Broiles wrote:

> >authorization
> >"public
> >private
> > >
> > > The statute didn't say "just because" or describe a technical architecture
> > > for an access control system - it criminalized the presentation of a
> > > certificate without "owning" the corresponding private key.
> >
> >Uhm... So, which devious use of someone else's certificate were those guys
> >trying to address? Also a bona fide certificate server could fall afoul of
> >such law.
>
> They were trying to address any fraudulent (not "devious") use of a
> certificate to gain access or information, without regard to the technical
> details.

I'm not a lawyer but I read it the way Greg does.
Intent is required, so simply sending a cert that's part of a chain
and which you don't hold the corresponding private key for, or
acting as a directory, isn't illegal.

But I'd bet that some enterprising DA, given a case where someone
sends four certs in a chain and got the EE cert by fraudulent means, will
charge them with four counts of violating this law.

Eric