A pattern emerges...

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Sun Jul 29 21:09:52 EDT 2001

Well, Australia is also looking at (and probably soon to pass) similarly
draconian legislation.

The EFA is Electronic Frontiers Australia -- see
http://www.efa.org.au/Campaigns/cybercrime.html

>EFA lodged a submission with the Inquiry into The Law Enforcement
>Implications of New Technology being conducted by the Joint Committee on
>the National Crime Authority.  EFA is very concerned about proposals put
>forward by several law enforcement agencies for legislation to require
>Australian ISPs to retain transaction logs of all user activities.  We
>consider the monitoring or data warehousing of Internet traffic or content
>on a mass scale to be highly privacy-invasive and an infringement of the
>human rights of Internet users.  This proposal, if not strongly opposed by
>Internet users, is likely to foreshadow a move towards a Bill similar to
>the draconian Regulation of Investigatory Powers Bill (R.I.P.) recently
>passed in the U.K. The submission will be made available on EFA's website
>as soon as the Committee has granted permission for it to be made publicly
>available (this is normal prodecure in accord with Parliamentary inquiry
>rules/procedures). The Committee's report is likely to be tabled in the
>Winter sittings of Parliament.

Greg.

Greg Rose                                       INTERNET: ggr at qualcomm.com
Qualcomm Australia          VOICE:  +61-2-9817 4188   FAX: +61-2-9817 5199
Level 3, 230 Victoria Road,                http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
Gladesville NSW 2111    232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C