Your password must be at least 18,770 char...

Rick Smith at Secure Computing rick_smith at securecomputing.com
Mon Jul 9 15:55:55 EDT 2001

One of those recently posted lists of quotations included a reference to
Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q276304, from late June, which described
the following problem:

"SYMPTOMS

If you log on to an MIT realm, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, click Change
Password, type your existing MIT password, and then type a new, simple
password that does not pass the dictionary check in Kadmind, you may
receive the following error message:

   Your password must be at least 18770 characters and cannot repeat any of
your previous 30689 passwords. Please type a different password. Type a
password that meets these requirements in both text boxes.

   Note that the number of required characters changes from 17,145 to
18,770 with the installation of SP1."

Here's the KB URL:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q276/3/04.ASP

There's no April 1 in the KB article. Does anyone know the story behind
this? I'm in the copyediting stages of my "Authentication" book (already
listed on Amazon) but I might want to slip in something about this
incident, if I can get the real story.

Rick.
smith at securecomputing.com