blocking chinese domains?

Helger Lipmaa helger at tml.hut.fi
Mon Jul 2 08:38:56 EDT 2001

On 29 Jun 2001, John R. Levine wrote:

> In article <l0311071bb76193cbb497@[208.192.101.177]> you write:
> >does anyone know whether china has recently shut
> >down its citizens' outgoing network access?
>
> I gather that for quite a while, Chinese networks have been behind
> what's known as the Great Firewall of China, and it does indeed filter
> sites the government doesn't like.

May be this is also the reason why some smart people in China have started
to mirror interesting-to-them but sensible-in-content sites? My own
collection of cryptographic pointers,
http://www.tml.hut.fi/~helger/crypto/ has been mirrored a while as
http://infosec.cs.pku.edu.cn/~tly/helger-crypto/ - and I know it is not
the only popular site; they have e.g. mirrored the cryptographic part of
the Counterpane webpage. Although I am not sure this has been done since
they wouldn't be able to access the sites otherwise... My original pages
have received some hits from China during THIS weekend.

Helger