Neat security quote found on slashdot

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Dec 29 19:03:29 EST 2001

>From the "Gift Card Hacking" thread,
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=25442&cid=0&pid=0&startat=&threshold=1&mode=flat&commentsort=0&op=Change

Re:Nondisclosure (Score:1)
by FauxPasIII (fauxpas at cc.gatech.dont.spam.me.edu) on Saturday December 29, @12:27PM (#2762484)

  Businesses are not going to expend money fixing any problem, no matter how
  severly it affects me as a customer, until it starts to affect their
  profitability. I wouldn't expect them to; they are a construct created with
  the express purpose of optimizing profitability. My goal as a security-
  conscious consumer is to -make- it the corporation's best interest to fix any
  problems that would have a detrimental effect on me as quickly as possible.

(Please, not another full-disclosure flamewar, I just wanted to post this
 because it seems to summarise the situation nicely).