Stegdetect 0.4 released and results from USENET search available

Antonomasia ant at notatla.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 29 18:12:57 EST 2001

From: Jim Choate <ravage at ssz.com>

I snipped several Cc:s.

> > I download all of alt.anonymous.messages from the same news
> > server that large numbers of people post and download child
> > porn on.
>
> So the traffic analysis software has your link the first couple of days.
> Now all they've got to do is black bag your computers text editors and
> news readers...assuming they've got a motivation to expend the effort. The

The effort to black bag computers of a few hundred people reading AAM
is much more than the effort they spend getting their computers to read
it regularly.  Or post to it if they chose.

> next step is to compare messages you submit with messages others submit,

So the TLAs also have to figure out which other ISP accounts and phone lines
are also used by the guy they saw reading AAM.   More work for them just to
rule out AAM robots equipped with a few free ISP accounts.

> Cover traffic requires an interesting characteristic to be effective, one
> that most don't 'get'; it must be full on all the time. The vast majority
> of your expended effort is bogus.

It must be independent of the true traffic volume but "full on all the time"
is overkill.  If an AAM robot posts exactly 50 messages a day that's plenty
to cover as much anonymous communication as I could organise in my head.