CFP: PKI research workshop

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Dec 27 17:50:17 EST 2001

Nelson Minar <nelson at monkey.org> writes:

>The thing that makes me the most sad is that the PKI situation only seems to
>be getting worse, not better.

The reason for this is that as we work on PKI deployment, we discover more and
more (previously unknown) problems which need to be solved.  If you look at PKI
in 1978 it was pretty simple (certificates in a "public file"), then in the
1980's it got more complex with directories and CRLs and whatnot, and after
that an ongoing stream of further issues which need to be addressed were
discovered as systems were finally deployed.  It's just getting harder and
harder as we discover more and more problems when we try and actually implement
the thing.  Even what we know now is only the tip of the iceberg compared to
what we're going to discover further down the track, and that's only
identifying the *problems* to be solved, not providing solutions.

PKI is like an erection: The more you think about it, the harder it gets.

Peter.