Stegdetect 0.4 released and results from USENET search available

Niels Provos provos at citi.umich.edu
Fri Dec 21 12:16:14 EST 2001

I just released Stegdetect 0.4.  It contains the following changes:

 - Improved detection accuracy for JSteg and JPhide.
 - JPEG Header Analysis reduces false positives.
 - JPEG Header Analysis provides rudimentary detection of F5.
 - Stegbreak uses the file magic utility to improve dictionary
   attack against OutGuess 0.13b.

You can download the UNIX source code or windows binary from

  http://www.outguess.org/download.php

-----
The results from analyzing one million images from the Internet Archive's
USENET archive are available at

  http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/stego/usenet.php

[...]
  After scanning two million images from eBay without finding any
  hidden messages, we extended the scope of our analysis.

  This page provides details about the analysis of one million images
  from the Internet Archive's USENET archive.

  Processing the one million images with stegdetect results in about
  20,000 suspicious images. We launched a dictionary attack on the
  JSteg and JPHide positive images.  The dictionary has a size of
  1,800,000 words and phrases.  The disconcert cluster used to
  distribute the dictionary attack has a peak performance of roughly
  87 GFLOPS.

  However, we have not found a single hidden message.
[...]

Comments and feedback are welcome.  We have an FAQ at

  http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/stego/faq.html

Regards and a merry Christmas,
  Niels Provos