Israeli compromise of U.S. telecommunications?

Peter Wayner pcw2 at flyzone.com
Thu Dec 20 18:14:51 EST 2001

These are very unsettling stories. But my favorite from recent days
comes from the Oct 26 NY Times:

  "Federal prosecutors said Mr. Hanhardt used law enforcement
computers and other databases to get information on traveling jewelry
sales representatives, including itineraries and car rental
information. Prosecutors said many of the thefts were from the rented
automobiles. "

Mr. Hanhardt was Chief of Detectives for the Chicago Police
Department. His gang, which operated from the early 1980's to 1998,
reportedly stole more than $5 million. This may not be the best
estimate because as part of his plea bargain, he's going to pay $4.8
million and cash equal to half of the equity in his home. There were
6 people in the gang. We probably don't know the full extent of his
crime spree.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/26/national/26THEF.html