MS Patent for DRM OS

Steven M. Bellovin smb at research.att.com
Fri Dec 14 00:43:30 EST 2001

In message <E16ENN4-0004sj-00 at granger.mail.mindspring.net>, John Young writes:
>Microsoft's patent for a Digital Rights Management
>Operating System was awarded yesterday:
>
>  http://cryptome.org/ms-drm-os.htm

My first reaction was to yawn -- that patent seems to be useful on
insecure systems, since on a secure system you don't have to worry
about running untrusted and trusted applications simultaneously.
Besides, the point of a patent is to prevent people from doing certain
things, and I have no particular interest in doing digital rights
management.

But then I thought of the relationship between this patent and the
SSCA, and it didn't seem funny any more.

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com