Outreach Volunteers Needed - Content Control is a Dead End

Ian BROWN I.Brown at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 14:17:56 EDT 2001

Dan Geer wrote:
>You only get an even number of {privacy, copyright} -- either the
>owner of information controls how it is used or he does not.  Either
>you embrace copyright-and-privacy, or you embrace neither.

Not sure I agree, because of the scope of initial and subsequent distribution
and the target of enforcement actions.

Copyright holders usually aim to maximise profitable distribution, and
DMCA-like enforcement is aimed at consumers. Privacy requires minimal
initial disclosure of information, followed by (at least in jurisdictions such
as the EU that support fair information practices) corporate enforcement,
which is much easier.