[IRR] Using the Fluhrer, Mantin, and Shamir Attack to Break WEP

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Tue Aug 7 08:55:20 EDT 2001

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:37:05 -0400
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
From: Monty Solomon <monty at roscom.com>
Subject: [IRR] Using the Fluhrer, Mantin, and Shamir Attack to Break WEP
Sender: tbtf-irregulars-approval at world.std.com

Using the Fluhrer, Mantin, and Shamir Attack to Break WEP
AT&T Labs Technical Report TD-4ZCPZZ

Authors
Adam Stubblefield
John Ioannidis
Aviel D. Rubin

Abstract
We implemented an attack against WEP, the link-layer security
protocol for 802.11 networks. The attack was described in a recent
paper by Fluhrer, Mantin, and Shamir. With our implementation, and
permission of the network administrator, we were able to recover the
secret key used in a production network, with a passive attack. The
WEP standard uses RC4 IVs improperly, and the attack exploits this
design failure. This paper describes the attack, how we implemented
it, and some optimizations to make the attack more efficient. We
conclude that 802.11 WEP is totally insecure, and we provide some
recommendations.

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~astubble/wep/

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA