NSA's new mode of operation broken in less than 24 hours

David G. Koontz koontz at ariolimax.com
Sun Aug 5 02:10:18 EDT 2001

Had me going for a minute.  I had to check
http://condor.securephone.net/documents/fnbdt_brief.pdf as
well as the dual counter mode description.

I thought dual counter might refer to the two half blocks
found in the FNBDT Counter Mode  (which is instead the counter
mode described by Lipmaa/Rogaway/Wagner).

Are there any references/urls/notes describing an analysis
of dual counter mode?  I searched web sites and NISTs Mode
of Operation Forum.  The only thing readily apparent is
that it appears to be inspired by the desire to generate
new protocols.  While FNBDT has been said to have been implemented
via wireless IP on notebooks,  I can sympathize with accumulating
overhead - especially in narrowband applications.

--
remove "no_spam_" from Reply-to address