[Cryptography] Came up with a weird use case, got questions

paulv metzdowd at bikkel.org
Sun Jan 6 18:05:03 EST 2019

I was wondering about something like this myself (I called it a digitale
time-capsule, like the one's you put in the ground). For me it was a way to
make sure that information can survive any censuring regime, by encypting
now and decrypting in a (faraway) future. The idea was to setup a destributed
network with encrypted content (bittorrent with encrypted files by archiving
organisations around the world that mirror each others content automaticly).

The one thing I came up with was using a short key, so that - if Moore's
law still applys in the future - the key could be bruteforced in the future.
(And useing RSA, so that advances in crypto (quantum computing / factoring)
could be used to decrypt a private key given a pub-key).

So 2 possible mechanism's are :

* difficulty (brute force of problem becomes possible in the future)
* class of problem (the whole problem class will be solved in the future)

(And of course these 2 could be both used, so that if one assumption proves
to be wrong, the other might still be right)

Any other mechanism's/idea's are very welcome, and could help a lot.

=paulv