[Cryptography] Updating Crypto and Software, Users Role, Flag Days (re: Cryptocurrency, ex: ElGamal)

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Thu Apr 4 14:24:31 EDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 9:05 AM grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> > ElGamal..
>
> Not endorsing or suggesting just noting for whoever
> that Tor has been updating a lot of its former crypto,

> Indeed a lot of projects have been and are
> updating their crypto for various reasons...
> brokenness, modularity, performance,
> simplicity, maintenance, quantum...

Aha, quantum.
I just saw a couple notes that hint that quantum computation continues to
make faster
progress than I might expect.  The longer some delay shifting to quantum
resistant processes
the longer the string of dominoes when some nation state finds a way to
decrypt archived stolen but
encrypted data sets.

One at IBM.
https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/27/ibms-quantum-computation-technique-mitigates-noise-and-improves-accuracy/

Another in Australia with room temp tech.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/australias-archer-commences-room-temperature-quantum-chip-build/

Some archive backup systems delete keys to encrypted data rather than fetch
and destroy
archived physical media with data.  A single chunk of media can also
contain a mix of data
some needed and some tossed.

--
   T o m    M i t c h e l l