[Cryptography] WireGuard

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Sep 4 11:24:44 EDT 2018

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018, jamesd at echeque.com wrote:

> On 03/09/2018 06:14, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
>>  And a design brief where a random nation state can create a
>>  certificate for microsoft.com is a good one?!?
>
> Using technologies analogous to blockchain, (namecoin) we can make sure that
> everyone sees the same mapping between a human readable name and its
> cryptographic identifiers.  This problem now has a known solution.

No it does not. I quested Leonard Tan about this at ICANN 60:

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg21253.html

 	PAUL:  Paul, IETF.  Let's say IETF gets the domains "ietf" in this
 	naming system and we pay our fees for a couple of years.  Everybody
 	uses the site.  And then at some point we forget to pay and the
 	domain falls back into the pool and somebody else registers it and we
 	don't know where they are or who they are.  Now I go to a court
 	system.  I get some legal opinion saying I own this trademark and now
 	I want to get this domain back.  Is there any way for me to get this
 	domain back?

 	LEONARD TAN:  So right now, the ens industry, you can change it
 	because it requires four out of seven people.  most of them are
 	ethereum developers.  And it is a consensus of them to make any
 	changes.  So it is possible, but it is going to be a very difficult
 	thing to do.

In other words, namecoin / ENS gets you nothing. You just end up in
yet another legal system or combined legal system or worse, just have
to provide some incentives to 4 out of 7 pseudo-random people, each
with their own human problems opening them up to bribery, blackmail or
coercion of some kind (threaten with jail, loss of job/health care or
just whack their knee caps)

And of course, if a system comes up that _really_ does not have this
override, then I just rephrase the above question with "I lost my private
key, how can I recover my domain worth millions" and they answer will be
"it is lost forever".

I love it when libertarian engineers think they can exist outside any
legal framework. Forget it, there will always be a mapping between
unmemorable numbers and names. The best you can do is limit the damage
anyone can do in an hierarchy spanning different juristictions
worldwide. Make yourself memorable in .com, .ru .cn .rs .is.

Paul
ps. See also: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pwouters-powerbind-00