[Cryptography] The Bob Morris worm

Richard Clayton richard at highwayman.com
Thu Apr 19 20:44:19 EDT 2018

In message <b13bc518-775a-8cf2-04b3-e0ff6fd93887 at math.wisc.edu>, Bob
Wilson <wilson at math.wisc.edu> writes

>    Are there any data on how small a list
>    would include a password working for some user on X% of all our
>    systems these days? That might be a weak measure of how far our
>    preaching about security practices has reached.

yes ... you should see Joe Bonneau's PhD thesis

        http://www.jbonneau.com/doc/2012-jbonneau-phd_thesis.pdf

... and it specifically provides answers in a statistical form

--
richard                                                   Richard Clayton

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov 1755