[Cryptography] Rubber-hose resistance?

erik erik at erikgranger.name
Mon Nov 27 13:35:23 EST 2017

I was talking recently with a few buddies, and the idea came up that there
ought to be a Trezor or Ledger-type wallet out there that somehow won't work
if you have an exceedingly high heart rate, combined with some other sort of
indicator.  The idea was that if someone ever wanted to steal your bitcoins,
they could do it by scaring you into just sending them your bitcoins. If,
however, people set up a wallet that wouldn't let them spend their bitcoins if
they were under duress, using some menagerie of biometric indicators for
authentication as well as duress detection, that this might make it harder for
people to mug bitcoin owners.

I think this might become a problem in the future as the IRS tries cracking
down; lots of people out there might not have washed their coins correctly,
and the price of coin-mixing is going through the roof with the tx fees, so it
makes sense that in the future nefarious state actors such as IRS agents might
try to conduct rubber-hose crypto-analysis to gain unwanted access to your
holdings.

What do you guys think?