[Cryptography] CFB/OFB/CTR mode with HMAC for key stream

Dan Veeneman dan at etoan.com
Mon May 1 15:17:58 EDT 2017

On 5/1/2017 11:29 AM, Bill Frantz wrote:
> Exactly this idea was suggested by at least one well-known
> cryptographer* during the 1990s crypto wars as a thought experiment to
> show that even if encryption algorithms were controlled, MACs could be
> substituted.

Are you thinking on Ron Rivest's paper on Chaffing and Winnowing?

<http://people.csail.mit.edu/rivest/chaffing-980701.txt>

We were using a similar technique on satellite broadcast channels during
the 1980s and 1990s, where each of thousands of receivers would either
accept or discard individual messages from the broadcast stream based on
an (H)MAC construction.

Regards,
Dan