[Cryptography] Fuzzy Grover

Mike Hamburg mike at shiftleft.org
Tue Jun 27 03:00:53 EDT 2017

Hello Crypto list,

I’m curious about quantum solutions to a variant of search.

Suppose I have a distribution D on the interval [0,1], and a function F(seed) which samples from D using a random oracle.

An adversary wants to find seeds such that F(seed) is large, and in particular wants to write a quantum algorithm that maximizes the expectation of F(seed).

If the distribution is only supported on the endpoints {0,1}, then this is just search and Grover is known to be optimal.  With t quantum oracle evaluations, it produces expectation something like min(1, t^2 * pr(1)).

But what if it’s not just {0,1}?  Grover can still be applied, just by setting a cutoff x and searching for seeds where F(seed) > x.  But is this optimal, or is there some kind of “fuzzy Grover’s algorithm” that improves on it?

Thanks,
— Mike