[Cryptography] 1984! US Senate Doesn't Launch Forfeiture and Crypto / Cash / Assets / Prepaid War

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Jun 18 06:12:53 EDT 2017

In article <CAD2Ti2_mMFhXTw0YKcUku03kX-wzjXM4x1nXXgY4tdAeiDJ1kw at mail.gmail.com> you write:
>> The US and many other
>> countries have for a long time required you to [declare cash at the border]...
>
>Before the NWO controls of the 1930s and beyond, which is
>hardly 85 of 245 years of US "money" existance, ...

Evidently you're older than me.  I think that something that dates
from 20 years before I was born has been around for a long time.

>> adding them to the list of cash-like things.
>> all it does is make them subject to the same rules
>
>Status quo apologist copout from those unable to
>consider working, cohabitant, symbiotic, even better,
>innovation, empowerment, and alternatives.

This really sounds like someone who hasn't read the bill, or didn't
look at the words while doing so.  It regulates physical things that
one carries through customs.  If the only way you can figure out to
transport bitcoins is to print your wallet hash on a physical thing,
you probably have issues beyond the scope of this mailing list.

>> If I thought bitcoin were important (I don't) I'd be thrilled that the
>> law was changing to treat it more like real money.
>
>So what exactly is *real money*?

The working definition for economists is whatever you can use to pay
your taxes.  There are lots of things that are a step or two away from
money, e.g., a gold coin which you can sell, but that doesn't mean
they're money too.  (This definition has some fuzz, e.g., are CDs and
savings accounts money -- they use the same units as cash or current
accounts, but bank rules don't let you use them directly to pay.)

I realize that there are people who have faith-based beliefs that
money is something else, and who apparently believe that governments
are all illegitimate and have no right to regulate anything* but you
can find fringe beliefs about anything.

R's,
John

* - yet many of them expect someone to show up if they dial 911