[Cryptography] NIST SP 800-63-3

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Aug 14 23:20:43 EDT 2017

Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> writes:

>I've always liked the VMS approach - dating back to the 1980's:  After some
>threshold of incorrect attempts within a defined period (say, 5 within 2
>minutes) is reached, the account is put into "evasion mode" for a random
>period of time between (say, 2 to 10 minutes).  In evasion mode, *all*
>passwords are rejected.  As long as attempts to log in continue, evasion mode
>is extended.  Once they stop, evasion mode times out and the correct password
>will work again.  Yes, denial of service is possible - but the attack has to
>continue indefinitely.

A variant of this extends the evasion across all accounts, which is an
effective way to try and address the standard retry-count-defeating attack of
trying one password across many accounts rather than many passwords against
one account.  Obviously this only works for a server that typically only has a
few logins per day for administrative purposes (dbas, sysadmins, etc), not
something with hundreds or thousands of users logging in and out all day long.

Peter.