[Cryptography] Use Linux for its security

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Wed Sep 28 18:16:17 EDT 2016

On 9/27/16 at 8:48 AM, leichter at lrw.com (Jerry Leichter) wrote:

>Not.
>
>"Critical and high-severity security bugs in the upstream
>kernel have lifespans from 3.3 to 6.4 years between commit and discovery."
>
>http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/09/linux-kernel-security-needs-fixing/

I will note that most of the kernel security bugs they found
were in device drivers. CapROS has managed to run Linux device
drivers as "user mode" programs. That means that many of the
protections the OS provides apply to device drivers also. CapROS
is released under GPL. Perhaps Linux should adapt the idea, and
even some of the code, to their problem.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        |The nice thing about standards| Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      |is there are so many to choose| 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |from.   - Andrew Tanenbaum    | Los Gatos,
CA 95032