[Cryptography] Use Linux for its security

Patrick Chkoreff patrick at rayservers.net
Wed Sep 28 15:41:55 EDT 2016

Ralf Senderek wrote on 09/28/2016 09:20 AM:

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2016, Jerry Leichter wrote:
>
>> Not.
>
> Everyone who complains about this situation should have asked himself:
> "When did I last donate my time and effort to essential code review?"
> (including efforts to reduce complexity).
>

>> "Critical and high-severity security bugs in the upstream kernel have
>> lifespans from 3.3 to 6.4 years between commit and discovery."
>>

> And what are the alternatives? Use Apple for its security?

I could not discern from the article whether Linux with all its problems
was better or worse than a Microsoft or Apple OS.  For all I know a
properly upgraded Linux system might be 10 times better or 2 times worse.

I'm considering installing either BSD or Qubes on a new laptop here.
Does anyone here have any experience Pro or Con that they'd like to share?

I know this topic is about general computer security and not
cryptography specifically, so if it's more appropriate to keep it off
list then so be it.

-- Patrick